CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 30, 2009

Finding and Making History


At this house we made a new friend... this cute little three year old came out and started playing with us; we had a snowball fight with her. We saw her again this morning and she remembered us. Her grandmother took us out on a trail (which you will see later) and she wanted to go to.








From what I can gather, they have an abundance of wilderness homicides investigations. Its very sad to see.








This is another night at "The One"; Greg convinced the owners to let him behind the bar and mix up some shots remembered from his bar tending days.... they were awesome!








This was when we climbed the steepest slope Ive ever been on. It was very fun but we probably should have had some ropes and mountaineering equipment with us. I actually had a couple of slips to include one I would call a "very close call", ended up hurting my leg on that one in particular.








I took this picture to give you an idea of some of the rock faces we encountered, luckily most of them you could walk sideways along and kind of work your way up rather then attack the 90 degree angle face you see here. I was the only one who climbed all the way up, man what a sight it was, to look down at the steep mountain you just climbed.... very cool stuff.








We went up the mountain searching for a reported skull and boots but found neither... I was the first to find anything on the mountain and this was it... an unexploded 105mm artillery shell... everything still intact... live explosives... I was very excited. Not bones, but still something very cool... this thing was fired with the purpose of destruction over 55 years ago, it was a dud and here it is... I found it. Amazing.







This is a dog tag that was found in a man's yard when he was putting up a foundation for a house. Completely intact and legible.






This helmet was shown to us by another man, it appears to be a US helmet with an exit wound to the back of it. Unfortunately the helmet was given to him by a friend long ago and he had no idea where it came from.







Apparently there is a fan nearby that will completely blow you away... pun intended.





Another night at "The One", the soju was flowing and so were the beers, it was a long week and we deserved a Saturday night of being 3 sheets. From left to right is Alex, Larry and Greg.






After many soju bottles were empty and on the table, the inevitable happened... Jared missed his chair as he went to sit down and proceeds to laugh hysterically.... so we joined him.






There are no Waffle Houses or Denny's to try to burn off the drunkenness, so what do we do? We go eat spicy kimchee and mandu. mmmmm mmmm.




Somehow, only one of my eyes is bloodshot... must have been only half drunk.






This was Sunday, our day away from hiking and talking to folks... a report writing day for the boss... some of us went to Chunchon to get away from the our little town of Yonggu for a while. We ate at McDonald's for lunch and Outback for dinner... A little hit of American food amidst the eating of Korean for the last two weeks straight. It was a nice little break in things.





This morning we got up and picked up Grandma from the little girl's house in the early picture... as you can see here, Grandma led the way up a rather steep mountain to the spot she found a skull two years ago.





Greg and Dustin use the medal detector to try to find buckles, boot eyelets or anything else pointing to the fact that someone may have given thier life here.







Through-out the day of searching and digging, we found numerous fired and unfired bullets, a backpack buckle and two of these... pineapple style hand grenades, without the spoons or pins, which again means they were duds but yet still considered live explosives. Have I mentioned that I LOVE THIS JOB? What a great duty to be able to have as my responsibility.... We never found a skull but we did find what appears to be a bone... we will dig further at this site on Wednesday.






After a long day of hiking, digging and not being blown up by live explosives, I decide to lay down on a nice soft spot and rest.... ahhhh... comfy....
Well, that's it for now, Ill post more when I can!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How cool!!! thank you for sharing I love it!! sounds/looks like you totally hate your job :-) Keep sharing I love seeing the pictures and having updates on what you see and find! Stay safe-love you xoxoxo

Karen said...

I found myself commenting on every picture so I thought I would write it down in number order...

1. How adorable! That is a great picture, looks like a professional picture showing the humanity of Americans. But you threw snow balls at the little girl? I hope you didn’t pelt the shit out of her.

2. I seriously think Koreans have a sick sense of humor and they put signs and pictures up like this to see what our reactions would be.

3. Very cool… peace back at ya man.

4. Holy poop batman! I’m going to be the caring sister now and say Please for the love of God and all that is holy, use the right equipment next time!

5. Did you feel like Rocky Balboa afterwards?

6. That’s awesome! Good for you Bill! That is pretty darn exciting.

7. I about cried on this one. Will you be able to return it to the family?

8. And yep, about cried on this one too.

9. I have some wonderful joy’s in life…. The love of my family, Disney, Chocolate… and signs in Korea

10. Been there… drink one for me.

11. This is something we used to call the Soju Shuffle, be proud of your friend for his great success.

12. Oh my goodness!!! MANDU!!!! I LOVE MANDU!!!! Hey… where’s my darn picture of bulgogi?

13. How did you manage that? Someone must of blown on your right eye to make it clear up. Awkward moment…

14. I actually miss knocking people around with my elbows in the city.

15. Go granny go!! She sure is showing you boys up!

16. Keep all the money you find… thank God they are not wearing speedo’s!

17. again… very cool… I love your job too!

18. Just as long as no one pops up from underneath the grass next to you screaming profanities in another language and firing assault rifle’s, I’m ok with you resting there.

Julie said...

wow this is really cool - thank you for sharing - are sure we won't be killed for knowing all this information!! haha I'm glad you are having fun, :)
be safe!!